keeb info & resource list
- Keyboard size flowchart by keyboard.university
- Physical keyboard layouts explained by KeyChatter/livingspeedbump's
- Keyboard Sizes & Layouts 101 by keyboard.university
- Ultimate guide to keyboard layouts and form factors by Wooting
Most consumer boards stick to MX compatibles (Cherry, Gateron, Kailh) in recent years Cherry has fallen out of favor to Gateron, Kailh or specialty / 'group buy only' switches in the keeb community.
Keycap Profile info
- Keycaps 101 by keyboard.university
- keycaps.info A comparison site for every keycap profile
- A guide to keycap profiles by Mechlab
Open (& programmable) firmware
Quantum Mechanical Keyboard is a popular Open Source keyboard firmware and the easiest to find compatible devices for. Can be programmed in C or created with the Online Configuration Tool.
VIA Keyboard Firmware is a keyboard firmware based on QMK that has a graphical editor that can change the keyboard keymap live. Great compatibility.
Vial Keyboard Firmware Is another enhanced version of QMK, the configuration tool supports VIA programmed devices, flashing your keyboard with a vial-qmk firmware allow for more features.
- keyboard.university is an organised resource for getting a good baseline knowledge on keebs.
- /r/mechanicalkeyboards Wiki Reddit Wiki for the biggest community for keebs
- Deskthority Wiki Large wiki for general and part info for keebs, the best resource for vintage mechanical keyboard info
- Keyboard Finder Often updated list of resources and stores
After that it's up to you, Google, Reddit threads, and YouTube videos.
Australian Mechanical Keyboard Specialty Stores
As of writing this these are probably the best places to get lube and other specialty mechanical keyboard items. These stores often will be handling group buy orders from Australia and New Zealand.
- Daily Clack
- Keyboard Treehouse
- Custom KBD
- Mountian Keyboards
- Cluster Cables
- LP Custom Cables
Group Buy Tracking
One off sets of keycaps, key switches, stabilisers and keyboards are happening all the time, often pricey but a sure way to get something unique.
This is a list of mainstream/international shops that offer enthusiest products, and have a chance of keeping Stock
|KBDFans||CN||KBDFans (kits & assembled)|
|KPRepublic||CN||KPRepublic (kits & assembled)|
|MechanicalKeyboards.com||USA||Ducky, Filco, HHKB, KBDFans, Kaihua, Keychron, Keycool, Leopold, Matias, Varmilo, Vortex|
|PC Case Gear||AUS||Ducky, Varmilo|
|MWave||AUS||Ducky, Kraken, Tai-Hao|
|KBDFans||CN||Gateron, Hako, Kailh|
|KPRepublic||CN||Everglide, Gateron, Hako, Kailh|